Derry is a city in Northern Ireland that is well worth visiting. It is the only remaining completely intact walled city in Ireland and one of the finest examples of a walled city in Europe. The walls date back to the 17th century and offer stunning views of the city and the River Foyle.
Derry Ireland City Walls
In addition to the walls, Derry has many other attractions, including:
- The Peace Bridge: This iconic bridge spans the River Foyle and is a symbol of peace and reconciliation between Northern Ireland’s two main communities.
Derry Ireland Peace Bridge
- The Guildhall: This beautiful building is the home of Derry City Council, and it is also a popular tourist destination.
Derry Ireland Guildhall
- The Tower Museum: This museum tells the story of Derry from its earliest days to the present.
Derry Ireland Tower Museum
- The Bogside: This area of Derry was the site of the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972, but it is now a vibrant and welcoming community.
Derry is also a great place to enjoy the outdoors. There are several parks and gardens in the city, and it is also close to some of Northern Ireland’s most beautiful scenery, including the Causeway Coast and the Sperrin Mountains.
If you are looking for a city with a rich history, a vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty, then Derry is the perfect destination for you.
Here are some additional things to consider when planning your trip to Derry:
- The best time to visit Derry is during the shoulder seasons (May-June and September-October). The weather is usually mild and sunny during these months, and there are fewer tourists.
- Derry is a relatively small city, so you can easily get around on foot or by bicycle.
- There are a variety of accommodation options in Derry, from budget hostels to luxury hotels.
- The food in Derry is excellent. Be sure to try some of the local specialties, such as black pudding, soda bread, and Ulster fry.
- Derry is a welcoming and friendly city. The people are passionate about their city and they are always happy to help visitors.